Sunday 22 December 2013

{Recipe} Sugar-free Pancakes


I try to eat sugar-free as much as possible.  I know there's a lot of speculation about whether sugar is really as bad as some make out, and I've read a lot of books about the possible effect of high sugar consumption on the body (if you're interested, you could start with Sweet Poison and I Quit Sugar).

My unqualified opinion, based solely on personal experience and health, is that I need to limit my sugar intake.  When I don't... well, just trust me, it's bad.  It effects my stomach in ways that I'd prefer not to describe.  When I do, I feel so much better, and my tummy thanks me for it (as does my husband).


So if you're experiencing health problems (and it doesn't just have to be stomach issues), you too might benefit from eating less sugar.  And as a bonus, you'll probably lose weight.  Not that I'm saying you need to.  You look great to me ;)

I've tried lots of sugar-free recipes in my own journey.  Lots bad, some good, and the odd fantastic one. I've done plenty of experimenting and have made lots of duds, which is in the nature of experimenting.  But this is a recipe I've gone back to over and over.  Who doesn't like pancakes after all?  And when they don't contain any sugar, but taste just as good as the sugar-laden ones, that's a real winner.  The recipe does contain fructose, which I am happy to eat in moderation.

Sugar-free Pancakes

1 1/2 cups self-raising wholemeal flour
1/2 cup almond meal
3 tbspns Natvia
1 apple, grated
zest of 1 lemon
1 cup milk, plus extra to loosen pancakes to desired consistency
1 egg
2 egg whites, beaten to stiff peaks
Fresh fruit to top before flipping - fresh blueberries, slices of banana

Other optional, yummy variations:
1 tsp cinnamon - add to dry ingredients
1 banana, mashed - add to wet ingredients
Swap the flour for gluten-free or spelt flour

Place flour, almond meal, Natvia, lemon zest and grated apple in a bowl and mix.  Mix milk and egg in a separate bowl, then using a whisk, gradually incorporate the milk mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.  Make sure you don't have any lumps.

In a separate bowl, beat your egg whites to stiff peaks then gently fold in half of the whites into the batter until well incorporated.  Gently fold in the remaining whites and set aside while you heat a frypan over medium heat.

When ready, grease the frypan with oil or butter, and spoon the batter into the frypan until you get the size you prefer.  You can leave the pancakes plain, or add slices of banana or whole blueberries to the top of the pancake.  Flip your pancake when you start to see bubbles popping on the surface.  Cook on the opposite side for a minute or so, then remove to a warmed plate.  Continue with the remaining batter, greasing the frypan as necessary.

Serve immediately, with fresh fruit, butter, coconut butter, honey, or my personal favourite, a sprinkle of Natvia and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.  Yummo!


Even these little monkeys like them - and that's saying something!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home